Cat sneezing is due to many reasons, but if a cat sneezes excessively you may begin to worry that something is wrong. If the cat sneezing is only symptom a cat shows- that is- it’s not accompanied with discharge from eyes or nose and a change in behavior or the activity’s intensity; then it’s not a serious problem. However, when you notice a nasal discharge, your cat might have an upper respiratory infection or a cold.
Upper respiratory infection
It is more like influenza in humans; an upper respiratory infection is persistent and hard to get rid of it especially without medications. Kittens, old cats and cats with chronic health problems seem to suffer more from this fatal infection.
Cat cold symptoms
- Over the course of couple of hours, sneezing occurs as spasms or frequent after few days.
- It may have different colors such as green, yellow or red; discharge from the eyes and the nose can be noticed.
- Excessive swallowing along with coughing.
- Lethargy and fever.
- A noticeable raise in the third eye-lid.
What’s the immediate care for cat sneezing?
- Using cotton moistened with warm water; try to clean the eyes and the nose off of the discharge.
- To increase the appétit of your cat, you should vary his food and offer him warm canned cat food or meat flavored food.
- You need to provide your cat with fresh water for drinking.
- Avoid giving your cat any sort of medication without consulting your vet.
- At the very first sign of cold, kittens should be exposed to the vet right away especially when they refuse to eat or drink.
How is cat cold treated?
- An essential amino acid, Lysine, is very effective and has shown to stop viral replication and inhibit cytopathogenicity. But you should ask your vet first before using any of the above medication.
- Antibiotics should be described because some cats may develop secondary bacterial infections.
- For stuffy noses you may use saline nose drops; place one drop in each of your cat’s nostrils once a day.
- Fluids to prevent dehydration.
- Place your cat in a steamy room.
- Administer vitamin C.
- Administer apple cider vinegar.
- Help your cat with grooming.
As a cat owner I wanted to make sure to cover everything about cat sneezing, but there wil always be some small details that were dropped out unknowingly. So, what I want you to do is that you read more about cat sneezing in order to determine the seriousness of this health condition.